Friday, January 23, 2009

Trees

My sister lasted a year in the Pacific Northwest when my mom moved up here and ended up back in the sun of "home". So, my niece is a born and raised Arizonian. Madi is not quite three.

M and Madi will be here next weekend. The conversation on the phone with M last night went something like this...

In the background:
"Mama, who you talking to?"

M: "I'm talking to Auntie Cattigan"

Madi: "Auntie Cattigan?"

M: "Remember when we talked about going to visit Grandma and Auntie Cattigan and your cousins?"

Madi: "MY cousins!!"

M: "Natalie...... Gracie........ Cameron....."
(I found out afterward that they were looking at a picture of the kids when M was saying each childs' name)

Madi: "AND TREES!!!"

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Oh, how funny! You know, that's the thing I miss the most living over on this side of the mountains! We have some trees, but not like what I grew up with. Over here, people have shade trees and they are planted intentionally. Where I grew up, (and I think you did too?) they are natural and spontaneous and EVERYWHERE. Ginormous evergreen trees that block the sun and line the highway. Whenever we go visit my parents or J's I drive him crazy with contented sighs, and comments about "OOOHH!! Look at those trees!"

Leah said...

I'm so used to having trees around, that I don't always specifically notice them, but when we've been to places where there aren't many, I sure come home appreciating that we have them!!