Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Good ol' Granny

Grandmothers WERE elderly with gray hair, a full bosom, and wide waist. They worn matronly dresses and aprons. They baked and cooked and cleaned. At 50, they were grandparents a few times over and looked as though they were 100.

Now, have you met my mom?

My mom works nights- 7 pm to 7 am, usually 3 or 4 days a week. She is high up on the food chain at a fairly large local hospital. She has been a nurse for a million years. She is a FANTASTIC nurse- very knowledgeable and very much a people person. I think she thrives on nights that her hospital is on trauma. One of the things I admire most about her is that she refers to her career as a calling. She LOVES being a nurse. She says that she doesn't go to church- she goes to work instead.

My mom is a fierce entertainer and dinner party thrower. Her's are the parties that you want to get invited to. It will look like she spent the last month preparing when in reality she just spent the last month making lists on the way she want things to look like and a day or two to cook and prepare. I tease her and tell her that she has the Martha Stewart gene. It skipped me and went straight to Natalie.

My mom has short, spiky, blond hair and wears leopard glasses. She came to Gracie's birthday party in heeled brown boots and Abercrobie jeans- you know the ones that you buy already worn and holey? Not the outfit of your 'typical' grandma-ma.

My mom travels.... north, south, east, west, sometimes needing a passport, and sometimes not. She shares her love of travel with her grandbabies and friends alike.

Did I mention that she's in school getting her Masters in Nursing with an emphasis in teaching?

Just your average grandma.



If this is what 60 looks like, bring it on!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

your mom is awesome!!