Saturday, September 13, 2008

Books books books books and more books

My bookshelves are filled with them. I could get lost for hours and possibly days in a book store. The written word entrances me. They are an addiction for me. It's been said that a tornado can hit and as long as I had a book, I'd miss it. My husband feels as though he is in competition for my attention.... no, honey, no competition- the book will win every time!

I have, through the power of the Internet, found my book soul mate. We went to school together and were in similar social circles. We crossed paths on a few occasions but nothing significant that I can remember. She is a mom of 4 also trying to stay sane 90% of the time. Now here we are shipping our favorites back and forth to one another because it costs less than our what book shopping sprees would be. She has introduced me to new authors for which I am so grateful. I would have run out of books a long time ago! Plus, she likes to have a glass of wine while reading. Sound like someone else, you know?

So here is just a smattering of what is on my shelves.....

Childhood Favorites that I have MY own copies of:
*Where the Wild Things Are
*The Very Hungry Caterpillar
*Mary Alice, Operator Number 9
*Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
*Charlotte's Web
*A Light in the Attic
*Where the Sidewalk Ends
*The Giving Tree

My prized possessions:
*Annie Leibovitz Coffee Table books - MY DREAM is to one day have my photograph taken by her
*Little Women- a copy that once belonged to my grandmother
*My first published book copyright 1983 "My Stories and Poems" (typed on a typewriter)

Can't live without:
*The Woman's Comfort Book
*Motherhood and Hollywood by Patricia Heaton
*The Three Martini Playdate
*Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
*Once Upon a More Enlightened Time
*For One More Day by Mitch Albom
*Feminist Fairy Tales
*Down Came the Rain by Brooke Shields
*Julie and Julia
*Girls Night In

*And just about everything written by:
Marian Keyes (Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, my favorite)
Sophie Kinsella (aka Madeline Wickham) (The Undomestic Goddess)
Jennifer Weiner
Janet Evanovich

I've just come across two new authors that I am falling in love with:
Emily Giffin (I have only read one of hers and can't wait to read more!!)
Celia Rivenbark (I have never laughed so hard while reading a book- this woman is hysterical!!! I am currently reading 'Bless Your Heart, Tramp and Other Southern Endearments' How could you not love a book with that kind of title?!?)

I have also discovered a FANTASTIC website called SHELFARI.COM Have I mentioned it before?!?!?!? (I thought of Kristina and Kellen's twin daughters here)

As soon as the kids go to bed, I would rather, more than anything else in the world, be left alone to read my book. A friend of my husband's came over a few nights ago and tried to engage in conversation while my nose was buried in the pages. GEESH! Obviously Jim didn't inform him of the rules before he came over! My husband has learned over the years so now we can sit in the same room while I am reading.

If you can't find me, I'll be lost in the pages of my book.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Oh, my goodness! It's as if you wrote that post about me! I, too, love many of the authors you wrote about. Celia Rivenbark is hysterical! I bought three of her books based on their titles and gave them to my MIL. The one you're reading, and "Stop dressing your six-year-old like a skank" are two of the best titles of any book, ever! (And, don't tell my MIL, but I very carefully read all three books before I gave them to her for her birthday! I'm incorrigible...)

I LOVE Jennifer Weiner! I've read ALL of her books. You should totally check out Lorna Landvik. Tall Pines Polka, Patty Jane's House of Curls, The Great Mysterious, etc. Fabulous.

Oh, and Pamela Morsi is good ("Bitsy's Bait and BBQ"). As are Dorthea Benton Frank ("Sullivan's Island" and many more), Billie Letts (she wrote "Where the Heart Is" but "Honk and Holler Opening Soon" is even better), and Andrea Trigiani ("Milk glass moon" and "Big Cherry Holler" are wonderful).

I better stop here, or this may be the longest comment in the history of blogger!

P.S. DO NOT read Evanovich's "Visions of Sugarplums" it was terrible. Horrible. Awful. I loved the Stepanie Plum series at first, but I started to get annoyed with her. I haven't read "Fearless Fourteen" but I probably will. I've read the first thirteen, why stop now, right? Once I discover an author I like, I DEVOUR everything he or she has written. I've read everything by the authors I've recommended, so if you want opinions on any particular title before purchasing, let me know! (Though they are all pretty solid books. I can't think of any I didn't like...)

Kaci said...

Ooooo I too love to read!! LOVE IT! Thanks for the website!

Leah said...

Can I start borrowing books from the librares of Kristina and Cattigan?