Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th!

I'm spending this evening in the comforts of my house with my neighbor's two year old blond pixie. We're watching Wonder Pets and eating Pringles. I started on my new book~This Charming Man by Marian Keyes. It's a brand new release in the U.S. Much more exciting than being outside in the noise. The merriment I enjoy, not the noise. If ALL fireworks could be silent.... it would be a dream come true for me. I spent my childhood being taken to firework displays where I would be curled up in my mom's lap crying and wanting to go home. My parents tried so hard to help me through my misery. It hasn't gotten much better over the years, well.... less crying.

The least amount of crying I did was the year that a guy friend of mine and I sat on my mom's roof and watched the display there. The high school was right behind her house so we had a prime viewing spot. I cuddled and comforted my little step brother and sister who were up there with us. I think that helped me keep my mind off the noise.

The 4th is Jim's FAVORITE holiday of all holidays! He spent a ton on fireworks this year and every year seems to buy more and more. The first year we spent together, him and some friends blew up a hibachi grill with fireworks. I left and went home! LOL Our children are chips off the ol' block. They love the BAM! and BOOM! of it all. I'm glad they all have a common interest while the mama stays put. And the best part of it all is that, the way we spend the 4th, makes these the best 4th of July's of my whole life!

2 comments:

Kaci said...

Awhhh bless your heart!! Elly isn't too thrilled by fireworks either...not even sparklers. She'd fit right in with you. :)

Leah said...

My kids are all for the noise and hub-bub of the holiday. Weren't they just in their element running around outside WAY past bedtime, taking time here and there to ooh and ahh over the fireworks above their heads...

I'm sorry it's not your favorite experience, hearing the fireworks. Sounds like you've found a way to enjoy the day anyway!